We often hear clients say “My pet has dry skin and dandruff.” Some pets can get dry skin, especially at certain times of the year when the weather is dry. We can easily help our own dry skin by applying lotion on our skin daily. You cannot put this same lotion on your pets. We carry several products that can be very helpful for pets that have dry, itchy skin.
- Omega-3 Liquid: This is a fish oil supplement in liquid form that contains a great source of omega 3 fatty acids that helps maintain healthy skin. This is added to the food daily and basically helps from the inside out.
- Skin Care Lotion: This non-greasy soothing lotion spray can help pets with minor allergies and skin irritations. This helps keep your pet’s skin hydrated, soft, and smooth.
- DermAllay Oatmeal Spray Conditioner: This is a great leave on conditioner for pets with dry, itchy skin. The colloidal oatmeal works to soothe itchy skin while the safflower oil helps provide moisture to the dry skin. It can be used after or between baths.
- Skin Care Bath Shampoo: This shampoo is formulated to help control and relieve itchy skin. It can be used for regular pet bathing and works great along with the Skin Care Lotion or DermAllay Spray.
- Aloe and Oatmeal Shampoo: This shampoo is specially formulated to help soothe dry skin. It deep cleans without removing the natural skin oils and leaves skin and hair feeling soft. The aloe and oatmeal are beneficial and gentle on the skin.
These products are suggested to use on pets that have minor allergies and can be found at Pet Hospital. If your pet’s skin is odorous, red, has sores, etc., we would recommend a veterinary exam to rule out a skin infection, or other serious skin or health conditions.
written by Susan Aranda